The Rural Health Interest Group (RHIG) aims to educate medical students on the unique healthcare needs of rural populations as well as the various obstacles that health workers face in providing care to these areas. This student-led organizations hosts monthly guest speakers who have experience in working with rural populations as well as hold fundraisers to support rural health causes. Topics discussed are open to all UofSC School of Medicine students.
The RHIG also has a national presence and is involved with organizations such as the National Rural Health Association.
Introduction to Rural Health
- Speaker: Kevin Bennett, PhD from the SC Center for Rural & Primary Healthcare
FoodShare Presentation: Rural Food Insecurities
- Speakers: Michelle Troup and Courtney Watson from FoodShare SC
Loan Repayment/Forgiveness Programs
- Speaker: Mark Jordan from the SC Department of Health & Environmental Control
SC Rural Clinics
- Speaker: Virginia Ann Mullikin from the SC Free Clinic Association
Gullah Roots Documentary Screening and Discussion Panel
- Speakers: Xavier Blake (Producer, ETV); Jessica Berry, PhD (SC State University); Robert Rhinehart, PhD (UofSC School of Medicine); Eric Williams, PhD (UofSC School of Medicine)
Rural Family Practice
- Speaker: William Jackson Epperson, MD from Tidelands Health